Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I'll Admit It Through an Anecdote

I recently stumbled across this brilliant little blog called Reasoning With Vampires. It's a thorough deconstruction of the Twilight series, and I love it. I spent three hours today catching up on the posts I've never read (don't judge me. I'm never productive in summer). This one post made me wonder where publishing companies draw the line in terms of a piece's awfulness. How horrendous can a manuscript be and still find its way across Mr. Boss's desk and into the "PUBLISH THIS" pile? Has the threshold ever been scientifically tested?

As you may remember from my previous posts, I record books on tape for a company called Covenant Communications. The things they hand me to read are not always works of art. Last time I was in the booth I took five minutes to read one sentence because of its accidental humorous connotation (your mother is a German Shepherd!).

All of this is to say that the part about the editor set the devious half of my brain a-scheming and I decided to see whether I could write the world's worst book and manage to get it published. Then I came to my senses and felt like I needed to take a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment