Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wed Nes Day

So I spent the last hour that I was gonna spend on homework talking to my sister on the phone. Sometimes these things just can't be helped.

A few things:

I can see why and how hunger makes people crazy. For some reason, I have been unbelievably really hungry all the time these last couple weeks. I mean, I eat breakfast, and I usually eat lunch, but if I don't then I eat dinner at 4 or 5 and then I go to rehearsal and I eat a snack after rehearsal. So I shouldn't be ravenous; I should at least be okay. But for reasons I think I'll never know, I feel like I'm starving to death. And then I go crazy thinking about when I'm gonna eat, and what I could possibly eat to satiate this gargantuan monster that is my bottomless stomach. It's really weird.

I might could possibly maybe a little bit almost very nearly kind of maybe almost hope to have a prayer to pass my classes this semester. Wouldn't that be nice? I mean, I don't expect to get a 4.0 again (2 semesters ago- I only took 3 classes, and 2 of them were participation-based), but at least I might (might) not fail.

I wrote a poem yesterday. It was hard, but it was also fun. It is a strict formal poem that uses the same 6 words as the last word in each line of 6 stanzas (a sestina, for those of you who care), so it was kind of like solving a complicated word puzzle, which I love. I think I'll put it up here later. It isn't great, but I'm falling in love with it. :)

Today I worked on (and almost finished) an exercise that riffed off of the sestina (take all of the nouns, adjectives, and verbs and replace them with the entry from the dictionary 7 entries above. Try it!). Here are some of the silliest sentences that emerged:
  • "...sharp became pontoon -- gone were the ribs of the loudspeaker Virginia reel and lie."
  • "When the lifer of earmuf had gone from henchman Fabian, and sharp could no longer love the tete-a-tete of caldron..."
  • "Henchman at last hypothesize see this hap near mayflower..."
  • "...torn by the moustaches of grew and repaired by anemometers..."
  • "She worst soon jocular the angels."
  • "...and she cottontail no longer loudspeaker the texture of calico..."
And in the middle of a sentence, the word "giraffe".

I just found a hole in the thigh of my only pair of jeans. :/ This is distressing. I like these jeans, nay, I. LOVE. these jeans. I got them at Target in November. I'm sad that a $25 pair of jeans only lasted 5 months... actually... I did wear them almost every day for 5 months. That means my cost-per-wear (thank you, Clinton and Stacy!) was, like, .028 cents. But I still need to buy new jeans. Caaaaan't afford thaaaat.

I watched Pooh's Grand Adventure yesterday, and I am happy to report that it is as good as I remember. "Come out, moon; come out, wishing star; come out, come out, wherever you are!" Megan and I used to watch that movie and cry together. Good times.




I got to spend a couple of hours today playing with some really great people and my puppety counterpart. I think her name is Dot or Dottie. She doesn't have pupils yet, so she's still a bit creepy, but it's really nice to get to get used to the real deal puppet instead of Cuddlebum, my rehearsal puppet. I made him out of a teddy bear, two coat hangers, a mitten, and an apron. Anyway, the point is that Dot or Dottie is a lot cooler (and a lot heavier) than Cuddlebum.



So that's m'week so far. Tomorrow is temple and therapy Thursday. I am also attending the BYU Mask Club production of Parade. Shh! Don't tell anyone! And I will be finishing two creative writing assignments AT LEAST. And I'm gonna reserve me some comp tickets. Whoo! Productivity!

P.S.
I have fallen in love with "Paean to Place" by Lorine Niedecker. Ready?
"O my floating life
Do not save love
for things
Throw things
to the flood

ruined
by the flood
Leave the new unbought--
all one in the end--
water"

HOLY crap. It's 6 1/2 pages long. LOVE it.

("He could not
--like water bugs--
stride surface tension
He netted
loneliness")

No comments:

Post a Comment