Monday, August 27, 2012

A (Poorly Explained) Rationale

While shopping for supplies for ACTF last January, Robbie and I were perusing the toiletries aisle.  I hemmed and hawed over toothpaste choices, trying to find the one with the most whitening power for the least amount of money (I have a pathological need to exhibit blindingly white teeth).

"What I really, really want is the Crest 3D Whitening.  It works much better than any other stuff," I said as I oggled the shiny blue boxes way up on the top shelf.

"Get it," Robbie said so matter-of-factly.

"But it's four dollars a tube."

"But you want it, so get it."

"I don't know, it's expensive."

"Just get it.  Why shouldn't you?  You know it works, you really want it, so buy it."

The wonderfully patient Robbie listened to me whine for another minute or two before he convinced me to invest in myself in this small way and buy the expensive toothpaste.

I spent $250 at Kohl's today.  I bought that new wardrobe I've been talking about for months.  I needed it for work (I only had one pair of pants [shorts] and not much to wear with them), none of my old clothes fit very well, and I'm not the same person I was when I bought them.  So $250 for new clothes it is.

And it means much more than having something nice to wear every day, but just now I'm suffering a shortage of words and I can't accurately pen my thoughts, hence the seemingly disunited story about Robbie and me traversing the aisles of Walmart.

But I can tell you this: I bought yellow pants, red pants, and purple pants, and that's a mark of extraordinary forward motion.

1 comment: